Sunday, January 6, 2013

Flea Market Mysteries

I've posted this before, but since it's the first Flea Market of the New Year (the first Sunday of the Month), I thought I'd repost. It's raining this morning, but the Flea Market organizers posted that they're open. I have a hood on my jacket to keep dry. The rain could cut down on buyers, so there will be deals. :-) Since my house is packed to the gills with 'things', and I don't need to add to my collections, I usually pick a theme and take photos instead of doing a lot of buying. Here's a link to a recent foray to the Flea Market. Photo Theme: Typewriters.

***

Today is Flea Market Day, and I'm off to the Alameda Flea Market aka Alameda Point Antiques and Collectibles Faire. I'm a great flea market goer. Having been to Flea Markets all over the world, the Alameda Flea Market remains one of my favorites. Can't be beat for a spectacular view of San Francisco, either. The Flea Market is located on the old Alameda Navy Base and literally runs right into the Bay. It's about 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. I love going on the first Sunday of every month to this great show. Here's a photo of me from a show in July- Independence Day. And, in case you want to know, I didn't buy that Statue of Liberty, although she would have looked great in my garden!

I used to frequent the Marin Flea Market which really dates me since housing replaced that space in Sausalito many years ago. I always go to Portobello Road when in London. Not sure I'd call Portobello Road a flea market, but I've been there early on a Saturday morning when the stalls are setting up. I adore the Paris Flea Market, and I have many finds from there. I love flea markets, estate sales, boot sales, garage sales and collectible shows (although they sometimes tend more to the antique), not that that's a bad thing. .. I also won't turn my nose up at a dumpster. Lots of treasures.

So it should come as no surprise that I enjoy reading mysteries with a flea market, boot sale, picker or garage sale theme. Here's a short list. I welcome additions. And, flea markets are great places to find mysteries!

The Flea Market by Randal Adam
Antiques Flee Market by Barbara Allan
Savannah Blues, Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews
Mobbed by Carol Higgins Clark
The Unraveling of Violeta Bell by C.R. Corwin
Death of a Garage Sale Newbie by Sharon Dunn
The Flea Market Mystery by Virginia Besaw Evansen
Tight as a Tick by Toni L.P. Kelner
Killer Stuff, Dead Guy's Stuff, The Wrong Stuff, Buried Stuff by Sharon Fiffer 
The Emma Chizzit Mysteries (several titles starting with Emma Chizzit and...) by Mary Bowen Hall
Something to Kill For by Susan Holtzer
Double Dealer by Barbara Taylor McCafferty & Beverly Taylor Herald
Resolution by Denise Mina
Leave a Message for Willie by Marcia Muller
Murder of a Smart Cookie by Denise Swanson
Garage Sale Stalker by Suzi Weinert

Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy is an antiques dealer, but he employs a wonderful picker, so I might include his books on this list. He and his sidekick do a lot of foraging at sales and in stalls looking for valuable antiques.

Anthony Oliver has another favorite antique themed series. My favorite is The Pew Group.

There is definitely a difference between Flea Markets and Antique Shops, but often the same characters inhabit both worlds. If I put together another list of Antique Mysteries, I'll certainly include books by Jane Cleland, Lea Wait, Tamar Myers, and many others will be on that list.

Mystery Readers Journal has had several issues focusing on Art & Antiques Mysteries. Have a look at the Tables of Contents: HERE and HERE.

No comments: