Monday, March 16, 2009

Marion Richmond R.I.P.

I had a call from Robin Richmond Monday to inform me that Marion Richmond, his wife, had died after a long battle with cancer. I knew she had been ill, but it still came as a shock. I hadn't seen Marion in many years, but I followed her book news in various publications, and she was a subscriber and contributor to the Mystery Readers Journal.

I remember the first time I met Marion, some 30+ years ago. We had corresponded via letter--yes, this was before email, and we agreed to meet when I was in London. She took me to the London Book Faire! What a wonderful time. Books everywhere, and Marian knew everyone. It was very exciting to get an insider view of the international book business at that time. Later I attended Bouchercon in London in 1990. Marion and Robin Richmond were the co-chairs. It was great fun, and I got to meet many of the British and international writers. Marion also contributed articles to the Mystery Readers Journal on collecting and special authors. Although these articles are no longer available, and certainly not on computer, I did find an article online that Marion wrote about book collecting: Really Wicked Books. Marion and Robin lived in Wigtown, Scotland's National Book Town. Robin intends to continue Ming Books

info@mingbooks.co.uk
mingbooks@yahoo.com
telephone 01988403241 mobile 07721007968
Address: Beechwood, Acre Place, Wigtown DG8 9DU
SCOTLAND also in Rahway New Jersey USA
Want lists welcome

No comments: