Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Bill Crider News

Such sad news. Last night Bill Crider posted that he will be entering home hospice care today. I, like his family, friends, and everyone in the mystery community, are saddened by this news. Bill Crider is a wonderful man, author, fan, and collector. He has won the Edgar, the Macavity, the Anthony, and the Shamus Awards, and probably others I've missed. Quiet, with a dry wit, warm, a true gentleman, Bill has charmed and entertained readers and friends over the years. I've known him 30+ years through DapaEm, Bouchercon, and MDM. His posts of the adventures of the VBKs have kept us all smiling on Facebook. His encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture is astounding. Bill is and always will be a class act and a true Renaissance man. I'm glad I was able to spend time with him this summer and at Bouchercon in Toronto.  

Life is not fair. Cancer sucks. Sending love and light for an easy journey, Bill. You will be in my heart forever, Alligator Man.

Here's what Bill posted on his Blog.

Things could change, but I suspect this will be my final post on the blog. I met with some doctors at M. D. Anderson today, and they suggested that I enter hospice care. A few weeks, a few months is about all I have left. The blog has been a tremendous source of pleasure to me over the years, and I've made a lot of friends here. My only regret is that I have several unreviewed books, including Lawrence Block' fine new anthology, Alive in Shape and Color, and Max Allan Collins' latest collaboration with Mickey Spillane, The Last Stand, which is a collection of two novellas, "A Bullet for Satisfaction," an early Spillane manuscript with an interesting history, and "The Last Stand," the last thing that Spillane completed. It saddens me to think of all the great books by many writers that I'll never read. But I've had a great life, and my readers have been a big part of it. Much love to you all.

Bruce Taylor, Art Scott, Bill Crider, & Me. July 2017

8 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Thank you for sharing...how could I let it slip away how much Bill loves crocodilians? The Friday Forgotten Books roundelay that he has so consistently contributed to will be devoted to celebration of him and his work on 15 December on Patti Abbott's blog, and all the blogs and similar where participants choose to join in...Patti and I will host anyone's writing if they have no public-facing online presence or wish to be hosted...FaceBook welcomed.

https://pattinase.blogspot.com/2017/12/bill-crider-day-on-december-15th-on-ffb.html

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Todd, and although I've never contributed to Friday Forgotten Books, I'm an avid reader. Bill, of course, is a frequent contributor. I really can't pass an alligator toy or item without thinking of him. Saw two big ones last weekend at the flea market but resisted the urge to buy them for him.

Debra H. Goldstein said...

Well said. Your post captures exactly what those who know Bill well and those who know him by acquaintance feel about him. Even his words remind us of how his thoughts reach beyond himself. A gentleman and a scholar .....

Jenny Milchman said...

Thought I don't know Bill personally myself, no one in the mystery world can be unaware of how many lives he has touched. Thanks for sharing his words, Janet.

Priscilla said...

I never had the pleasure of meeting Bill, but I have been following him on FB since the rescue of the VBKs. Yes, his books are wonderful. But in a world where bullying, violence, bigotry, and selfishness are in the ascendancy, Bill is a light of decency and kindness. It isn't fair that we are losing him, but I'm glad he's been here. Bill, you have given us so much! Thank you!

Janet Rudolph said...

Beautifully said, Priscilla..

Todd Mason said...

https://pattinase.blogspot.com/2017/12/bill-crider-day-on-december-15th-on-ffb.html

Other Lisa said...

Oh, I am so sad to hear this. I know this sounds totally trivial but who will take care of the VBKs? They brought him -- and all of us -- so much joy.