Friday, December 6, 2019

The Gourmet Gangster: Mysteries and Menus: Guest Post & Recipe by Marcia Rosen

The Gourmet Gangster Mysteries and Menus by The Family 
Mysteries by Marcia Rosen Recipes by Jory Rosen 
Level Best Books, November 5, 2019 $15.95

MARCIA ROSEN:
 
My son Jory and I had a great time collaborating on this book. I wrote the mysteries, and he provided the recipes. Together we created some murderous titles for the recipes and decided which types of food would best fit the various mystery stories.

The book is a series of short mysteries all taking place in a restaurant called Manhattan Shadow. The character, Zero the Bookie, is fashioned after my father. He also appears in my Senior Sleuths Mystery Series along with Dick and Dora Zimmerman, reminiscent of the Thin Man characters.

Level Best Books, our publisher, suggested putting the recipes before each story and they are spread throughout the book.

When my parents came to visit us after we moved to Long Island, my father brought along a small donut-making machine.

He and my two sons had such fun together!

These are some of Jory’s thoughts concerning his love of cooking: “Some of my earliest memories about my grandfather includes making donuts with him. I remember his kindness, patience, and love for the process as well as the end result. It gave me a lifetime passion for cooking. It did, of course, also have the effect of creating a lifetime love affair with donuts (come on, they are nature’s perfect food). I have three kids (2 girls, 9 and 7, and a boy 3): my grandfather would have adored them. What I cook allows my children to get know my grandfather, and for him to live on through every bite of the cuisine he created. I hope these recipes inspire good memories and experiences in others, too.”

As for me, when I considered mysteries stories for the book I thought about places familiar to me, or I enjoy going to like a local, coffee shop here in Carmel, California, The Coffee Bank. So, I wrote Make Mine Murder. Here’s a delicious recipe to enjoy:

Pasta with Truffle Butter, Almost Criminal It’s So Good 

½ cup Heavy Cream
3 ounces white truffle butter
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon plus
1 teaspoon of salt
1 package (about 8 ounces) of fresh pasta such as tagliatelle or egg fettuccine. (Dried pasta ok)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Several tablespoons of parmesan (how much is really too much?)

Add 1 tablespoon salt to a large pot of water and bring to a boil.

In a large (12-inch) sauté pan, heat the cream over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Add the truffle butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, lower the heat to very low, and swirl the butter until it melts. Keep warm over very low heat.

Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook. When the pasta is cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.

Add the drained pasta to the sauté pan and toss it with the truffle-cream mixture. As the pasta absorbs the sauce, add as much of the reserved cooking water, as necessary, to keep the pasta very creamy.

Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and garnish each serving with a generous sprinkling of chives and shaved Parmesan.

Side: Nice crusty Italian bread, warmed and soft.

Wine: Crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.

###
www.theseniorsleuths.com
www.mysteryloverspodcast.com
https://levelbestbooks.wordpress.com

No comments: