Wednesday, February 24, 2021

MARGARET MARON: R.I.P.

I woke up this morning to the sad news that Margaret Maron, mystery author, humanist, and friend, passed away yesterday. I enjoyed her Sigrid Harald books and, of course, her Deborah Knott series. I, also, loved spending time with Margaret at Malice Domestic and Bouchercon. She was always so friendly, including people in her panels and chats in the lobby, bar, or book room. When she finally made it to one of my Literary Salons here on the West Coast, she not only gave a great talk, but she identified a special spider that was spinning a web 'behind my garden gate.' Who knew she was an expert on arachnia? Margaret was a woman of many talents and interests. She was smart, witty, funny, compassionate, and generous to others. She was also a wonderdful storyteller, so it's not surprising that she won all the major mystery awards, including the Macavity. She was also a Grandmaster of Mystery Writers of America. Margaret was a literary treasure and one of the nicest people I've ever known. I will miss her.

Photo: I took this in 2013. Margaret, wearing an Egyptian motif scarf that Elizabeth Peters aka Barbara Mertz gave her.

Here's the obit that was in my inbox this morning (click to enlarge):

No photo description available.

4 comments:

JMaron said...

On behalf of my father and myself, thank you for your very kind and generous remembrance of my mother. She was indeed a woman of many talents. It is gratifying knowing that she left a positive impression on you as well. She will be sorely missed by her family.

Jane R said...

I am so sorry to hear of Margaret Maron's passing. Like you, I enjoyed her books...especially the Deborah Knott series. She and her talents will be missed.

Kate Grilley said...

Another sad day. My condolences to Margaret's husband Joe... with fond memories of time spent with Margaret at conferences, on panels and all around good conversation. RIP, Margaret. You were the epitome of southern charm and generosity.

Diane said...

So very sad; she will be missed.