So to improve your reading:
News, Reviews, and Publishing
- Murderati: Murderati examines trends in publishing and marketing through the eyes of mystery writers.
- Mystery Fanfare: This blog is run by Janet Rudolph, editor of the Mystery Readers Journal, which makes it a great resource for official news.
- The Rap Sheet: This is a great blog for news and reviews of new and old content in all forms.
- Sons of Spade: With a name inspired by a classic mystery character, this blog offers valuable reviews of mystery titles as well as interviews with prominent authors.
- Shots: The Crime & Thriller Ezine: The blog of the U.K. magazine Shots has plenty of news and reviews about mystery and other genre fiction. Great for British readers.
- Mysteries in Paradise: In addition to coverage of new titles, this blog also highlights old and forgotten mystery titles that make for ideal hunting in used book stores.
- Detectives Beyond Borders: Peter Rozovsky, whose day job is copy editing, runs this lively and interesting blog dedicated to happenings in the mystery-lit world.
- Paper Cuts: The literary blog from The New York Times is a required blog for fans of mystery lit. The blog covers all genres, and it does so with typical quality and skill.
- Euro Crime: This blog covers the latest in the British and European book worlds, and also has contests in which readers can win free books.
- Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind: Sarah Weinman writes about mystery writing for The Los Angeles Times and the Barnes & Noble Review, and she’s also a short fiction author. Definitely one of the best mystery bloggers in the game.
- Reading in Reykjavk: The title’s no lie: this blog is based in Iceland, and it covers new releases, best-of lists, and questions about reading.
- Mysterious Matters: Mystery Publishing Demystified: This blog aimed at readers and writers aims to give people the inside track on what it takes to publish a mystery book.
- Art &Literature: This in-depth blog focuses primarily on Southern mystery literature, with great info on new books, interviews with authors, and smart reviews.
- Sisters in Crime: Sisters in Crime is dedicated to promoting female mystery writers, and their entries range from advice on self-publishing to how to use social media to your advantage.
- I Love a Good Mystery: Tania Hutchison’s blog is a great example of pro-level blogging from fans who just love reading.
- Lesa’s Book Critiques: Arizona librarian Lesa Holstine blogs about mysteries and a few other topics at this stripped-down but informative site.
- Hey, There’s a Dead Guy in the Living Room: In addition to having the best title on this list, this blog offers readers tons of useful insight into writing and publishing in the digital era.
- Existentialist Man: This highbrow blog uses mystery fiction to explore the nature of life and existence. A wonderful find.