Saturday, September 25, 2010

Name Your Poison Glasses

I'm a big Retro Fan and my favorite sets of glasses are Whiskey Glasses from the 1950s and 1960s that literally "Name Your Poison". This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me since I love glasses, dishes and flatware that you can 'read'.

In the 1950s and 1960s the cocktail hour flourished and with it all kinds of novelty barware, including the Name Your Poison glasses. In the 1950s several companies began making these with different shapes and varying graphics.  These were originally sold in sets of four, six and eight. Each maker crafted different sets--some with original stirrers that make the glasses look like mortars and pestles. The glasses were usually heavy on the bottom with names Cyanide, Curare, Strychnine, Hemlock. My kind of drinks!

You can still find these glasses for sale at flea markets, eBay, Etsy, Replacements, and other online sites. However, Helaine Fendelman, appraisal guru, recently had an article about these in Country Living, so they'll be snatched up sooner than later.

Start searching. Raise one of these glasses next time you're watching Mad Men--or use them at Halloween. They're perfect!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How very cool!

Yvette said...

Love them to bits and pieces! I too like to read while I drink or eat, either a book or the glassware or dinnerware will do. I have a little brown glass bottle with a skull and crossbones on it which I assume means it once contained poison. Very fun. I love anything with lettering on it.

vallerose said...

As a another glass lover, I could enjoy these.

vera said...

Hi There, these are great! do you happen to know who the manufacturers were?

Unknown said...

Cera made them. I have a set of 6

Unknown said...

I have a set of these gathering dust. My parents also have a set.