Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Enid Schantz, R.I.P.

The Mystery Community lost one of its special people this morning. Enid Schantz, bookseller, book publisher (Rue Morgue), convention organizer, reviewer and wonderful person, succumbed to cancer early this morning. Enid and her husband Tom Schantz have been involved in the mystery community since 1970. They were awarded the Raven in 2001 by Mystery Writers of America for their contributions to the genre. Enid will be missed by all.

My thoughts and sympathy go out to her husband Tom and her family.

Read the following article (which first appeared in MysteryFile in a slightly different form) that traces the history of the Schantzes and The Rue Morgue Press.

 I will be linking comments and posts.

10 comments:

Lynne Perednia said...

R.I.P. indeed. She has been a wonderful, positive influence for my entire fandom of mysteries. We're all indebted to her and to Tom, who is in my thoughts today.

Beth Groundwater said...

I'll miss Enid! Virtual hugs and prayers for comfort for her husband Tom.

Clea Simon said...

The mystery community has lost a true friend. My heart goes out to Tom and all their friends and family. RIP, Enid, and thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad for Tom and their family, and for the rest of us in their extended clan of mysterians. We will miss her tremendously. Rest in peace, Enid.

Chris Aldrich

2020 said...

What a great lady. She did so much for the world of books, and for writers. My love to Tom.

Anonymous said...

We have lost yet another leader in our community. I say leader because she'd done it all, played every role there was to play. Now she gets to rest.

We will miss you Enid. Our sympathies to Tom and your entire family.

Priscilla said...

Enid will be missed by so many of us. She was a classy lady and, if there is an afterlife, she is surely surrounded by wonderful books and readers eager for a good recommendation from her. My deepest sympathy goes out to Tom.

Rebecca Bates said...

My deepest sympathies to Tom and family. Enid was a wonderful lady, and I loved her dearly. I miss you.

Lucinda Surber said...

Enid will be much missed. My heart goes out to Tom and the rest of the family.

Robin Lung said...

I will be forever indebted to Enid for turning me on to Juanita Sheridan's mystery novels and encouraging me in my hunt for the real life Lily Wu. Our online friendship meant a great deal to me, so I can only imagine how she will be missed by those closest to her. Much aloha to all of you.