Sunday, April 13, 2014

Wendy Hornsby Literary Salon: Berkeley, April 16


Join Mystery Readers NorCal in Berkeley, CA, Wednesday, April 16, at 7 p.m. for an evening Literary Salon with Edgard Award Winning Author Wendy Hornsby.

Please comment below with email to RSVP.

From Wendy Hornsby:

I can’t remember ever not knowing that I was a writer. When I was in the second grade, because I was forever writing little stories, my teacher, a lovely woman named Barbara Heath, gave me her own copy of Little Women, to keep. Hardcover, illustrated, no less. The story wasn’t so much magic for me as was the character of Jo March. Somehow I knew Jo, I pretended I was her sometimes, and knew I was going to grow up to be, as she was, a writer.

When I was in fourth grade, I turned pro. My essay, “Why I love Camp Nawakwa,” won a community contest, earning me a camp scholarship, and my future was set. Sort of. Loving Camp Nawakwa was my writing pinnacle for quite a while.

When it was time for college, I headed off to UCLA, where I tried on a large number of majors before I decided on History. History, well told, has more romance, adventure, intrigue, courage, provocative mystery than any fiction that can be imagined. Besides, the process of historical research and writing mysteries have a great deal in common. One snoops through the remnants of people’s lives – real or fictional – asking the important who, what, where, and when questions and implying insight with the hope of making sense of things. The study of History is great preparation for a writer, especially a writer of mysteries.

The afternoon that I learned I had passed my comprehensive exams for the Masters degree in History at CSULB, I was hired to teach History as an adjunct at Long Beach City College. Over the next decades I taught, went to school some more, raised two beautiful babies to adulthood, acquired a full-time tenured position at LBCC, and, somehow, between school and soccer and baseball and school plays, managed to get seven mystery novels and many, many short stories published. Amazing how that happened.

When my kids, Alyson and Christopher, were of a certain age, I took them to visit The Orchard House in Concord, Massachusetts, where Louisa May Alcott grew up and where she wrote Little Women. I stood in her upstairs bedroom, beside the little half-moon desk where she created Jo March, and thanked her for giving a little girl a bit of courage to believe that she, too, could be a writer.

Books by Wendy Hornsby

Maggie MacGowen mysteries 
The Color of Light, 2014
The Hanging, 2012
The Paramour’s Daughter, 2010
In the Guise of Mercy, 2009
A Hard Light, 1998
77th Street Requiem, 1996
Bad Intent, 1995
Midnight Baby, 1994
Telling Lies, 1993

Collections 
Nine Sons, 2002
Two of the Deadliest Shaken – Stories for Japan

Kate Teague series 
Half a Mind, 1991
No Harm, 1989

No comments: