Friday, August 22, 2014

Asa Larsson discusses Female Victims in Crime Fiction

Swedish writer Asa Larsson, author of the the Rebecka Martinsson mysteries, addresses why there are more women victims in crime fiction.  This appeared in the Huffington Post. HERE

"On Dead Women in Crime Fiction"

It has come to my attention that people are grumbling about how Swedish crime writers murder piles of women in their books. As a Swedish author of crime fiction, I instinctively want to raise my hand and call out, "Not me! Not me!" It's a problem that I've always carefully considered. 

Read the rest of the article HERE.

HT: TheRapSheet

1 comment:

Dana King said...

I agree with her, that it's about building sympathy for the victim so the protagonist has a more noble quest. It's also an excuse for lazy writing at times, since the sympathy here is so automatic.