I grew up on Edgar Allan Poe, the Hardy Boys, Agatha Christie, Patricia Highsmith, and comic books. In between, I read a few adventure stories, The Three Musketeers, Robinson Crusoe (though it’s possible I read the latter in a Classic Comic version and only think I read the book). Reading was difficult for me, so I concentrated on what I considered my only gift: art. Though a poor student, I could draw anything, and that got me into art school where I learned I had slight dyslexia and after a year-long series of exercises, became a voracious reader making up for lost time.
When I started writing my first novel—after a successful career as a painter, sidetracked by a fire that destroyed 10 years of my artwork—I chose to write a semi-autobiographical novel (auto-fiction in today’s literary lingo). It was about a mid-career artist who had lost all his work and was professionally and emotionally adrift. Sound familiar?
At the time, I was living at the American Academy in Rome where I had a large airy studio with a spectacular view overlooking the eternal city. The only problem was I couldn’t paint; the fire and the loss had left me in doubt, questioning why I had become an artist in the first place.
It was a difficult time, but Rome was glorious, the perfect city in which to be depressed. Every morning, after coffee and a cornetto (a sweet, crescent-shaped pastry that looks like a croissant only denser and sweeter and filled with crema or albicocca, apricot jam), I’d find a church and make exact replications of the interiors and the artwork, eventually filling several sketchbooks. (Little did I know I was in training to later become a legal art forger, but that’s another story).
When I got home to NY and reread the 200 or so pages I had written, I couldn’t stand the main character, a 40-something artist, whiney and entitled. So, I killed him. Instant catharsis. That’s how I found what I wanted to write: a crime story. The book ended up being my first novel The Death Artist, about a serial killer loose in the New York art world. The New York Times Magazine did a feature on me (the well-known artist turned writer) and People Magazine chose my novel as their Page Turner of the Week, both of which helped make the book a success.
It followed with a contract to write two more books, but I never wrote a good old-fashioned whodunit until now, Ten Perfect Guests, my ninth book. I wanted to give readers a gift, an entertainment and escape from our troubled times, something fun, and more than a little sinister. But that’s half the fun, isn’t it? If you’re writing a book about a group of nasty characters lured to a deserted island for the memorial of a rich and famous artist with the promise of an inheritance (but only if they show up), you can be sure there will be in-fighting, backstabbing and nefarious goings on.
I wanted to take all the whodunit tropes, a large cast (but of fully developed) characters, an isolated locale (in this case a deserted island), and update the genre to the present day with angst and drama and lots of dark humor. I also added drawings, illustrations I made for the five parts of the story, all painted in gouache with the same frame, to give it the look of an illustrated manuscript.
Saturday, September 19, 2026
Crafting a Whodunnit for Our Time: Guest post by Jonathan Santlofer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment