Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Mousetrap: 60th Anniversary & News

From the New York Times:  

"It might be the longest-standing spoiler alert in theater history: “The Mousetrap,” the London stage production of the Agatha Christie mystery that still asks its audience not to reveal the killer’s identity, began its 60th year on Friday and announced a tour of Britain among other special events to mark the murderous milestone.

In 1974 the play transferred to St. Martin’s Theater two days after its final performance at the Ambassadors, and has played 24,587 performances in what is treated as a continuous run.

The 60th-anniversary tour of the play would begin a 60-week run in September at the Marlowe Theater in Canterbury. A “Mousetrap” theater charity program will also introduce a mystery-writing series at 60 British schools and 60 productions of the play have been licensed for performances in other countries."

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE.

7 comments:

Bobbi Mumm said...

Isn't that amazing... I saw this in London on its 50th Anniversary. Mystery rules!

Janet Rudolph said...

I especially love that they will have mystery writing workshops in the schools! yay!

E A M Harris said...

I saw this play about forty years ago. It thrilled me then and I think it would again now.
Agatha Christie is still The Queen.

Elizabeth Foxwell said...

Janet, "The Mousetrap" is scheduled for Philadelphia's Walnut St Theatre starting in January:
http://www.walnutstreettheatre.org

Janet Rudolph said...

Thanks, Elizabeth, I wonder if it will come here to San Francisco? I'll try to check. :-)

Jeri Westerson said...

I played one of the victims when we did a production of The Mousetrap in high school some thirty years ago!

Jeri Westerson said...

I played one of the victims in my high school production of the Mousetrap some thirty or so years ago! I took my bow at the end as a corpse.