Sunday, November 6, 2011

PD James: Death Comes to Pemberly


The Telegraph Q&A with P.D. James about her new novel Death Comes to Pemberley and her fascination with Jane Austen.

PD James: In Death Comes to Pemberley, I have chosen the earlier date of 1797 for the marriages both of Elizabeth and her older sister Jane, and the book begins in 1803 when Elizabeth and Darcy have been happily together for six years and are preparing for the annual autumn ball which will take place the next evening

Q What do you get if you cross a Jane Austen novel with a crime thriller?

A The latest fiction from PD James- 'Death Comes to Pemberley'. Here the distinguished novelist explains why she decided to combine her two literary passions to produce a sequel which opens with a brutal murder at Pemberley.

Read the Q&A with the Grand Dame in the Telegraph here.

4 comments:

Mystery Reader said...

Interesting. Phyllis really knows her P & P. I'm interested in how her novel compares to Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen series. I will definitely look for this one

Priscilla said...

I was hesitant about this book but the interview persuaded me. Love almost everything she has written, only a couple of exceptions and those only because they just weren"t my taste. Look forward to this! Thanks for posting, Janet!

Kelly Robinson said...

What can't she do?!

vallerose said...

If nothing else, P.D. James is an inspiration to us younger people. Still writing at 90 plus years. Wonderful.

I tried a Stephanie Barron recently and enjoyed it. I wasn't sure about it at first because I'm an Austen fan. But Barron captures the style well without it being hokey.