Tuesday, November 1, 2011

R is for Rees: Matt Rees

Today I continue the Mystery Author Alphabet Meme with a guest post from Matt Rees. R is for Rees.

Matt Rees is the author of five crime novels, the latest of which is MOZART’S LAST ARIA. For more about his books, go to www.mattrees.net. For his podcast and blog, go to www.themanoftwistsandturns.com.

WIN A COPY OF MOZART'S LAST ARIA. MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT MATT, MOZART OR OPERA. Be sure and give your email address. Random winner.

MATT REES: 

From the little house in the mountains above Salzburg where Nannerl Mozart lived, I looked out across the lake. As I watched the sun on the glimmering surface of the water, the first intimations of how I would write my novel MOZART’S LAST ARIA came to me.

Nannerl was packed off to be married to a boring local functionary in the tiny village of St. Gilgen. I imagined how it must have been for her after her years as a child piano prodigy, playing in the great palaces of Europe with her brother Wolfgang. It was in this village that I had the idea of transplanting her to the Imperial capital to probe her brother’s death – the idea for MOZART’S LAST ARIA.

Then I went about finding the other places that would’ve touched the lives of Nannerl and Wolfgang. Writing about Mozart for my new novel MOZART’S LAST ARIA (http://www.mattrees.net/mozart.html) required considerable imagination. The people and events are, after all, more than 200 years distant. Yet I was able to tie the fiction to existing places where the great composer lived and worked.

It was my visits to Vienna, Salzburg, Prague and the Salzkammergut mountains which transformed me from a Mozart music fan to someone prepared to devote years of his life to writing a novel about the great man’s last days. (In MOZART’S LAST ARIA, the composer’s estranged sister, Nannerl, goes to Vienna to uncover the truth about his premature death. She discovers a story of intrigue, espionage and secrets hidden in The Magic Flute – as well as a new perspective on the love between her and her brother.)

Many of the places where Wolfgang played his music still exist. In some cases the décor – as well as the basic structure – remains the same as in his day. I was able to set much of the action of MOZART’S LAST ARIA in existing streets and buildings where Mozart lived and worked.

In MOZART’S LAST ARIA, Nannerl investigates her suspicion that Wolfgang was poisoned. She’s aided by Baron Gottfried van Swieten, an important patron of her brother. Swieten was Imperial Librarian, and you can see the majesty and learning of that time arrayed on the shelves of the Prunksaal, the great library attached to the Hofburg, the Emperors’ palace in central Vienna.

The library is open to the public, but you’ll rarely find more than five or six other visitors there at one time – most people are shuffling with the crowds through the Emperor’s rooms down the way. The library’s a gem hidden in plain site.

The house where Mozart died was destroyed some time ago (though you can visit an excellent museum in the house where he wrote The Marriage of Figaro nearby on Domgasse). There’s a plaque on the wall of a department store there now, on Rauhensteingasse. But if you stand with your back to the spot, you can look to your left, your right, and in front of you, and you’ll see just what Wolfgang would’ve seen – except there’ll be less horse manure on the streets.

Even when the buildings of Mozart’s time have gone, there are traces I was able to use. The interior of Mozart’s last home has been the subject of a number of academic theses about the furniture and layout of the apartment. (Some years ago, the startling discovery was made that not only did he have two windows on the front of his studio, but he also had another one on the side. It sounds like a triviality – well, it IS a triviality -- but I’m very grateful to those dedicated Mozartians.)

You can look at a photo tour (http://www.mattrees.net/tour/vienna1.html) of other Mozart sites in Vienna on my website.

But it isn’t only in the city where he died that Mozart’s presence can be felt. After I first visited Vienna, I took a train north to Prague, where I saw a production of Don Giovanni in the Estates Theatre. It was here in 1785 that the “opera of operas” was premiered. During the summer, the theatre rotates Don Giovanni, Cosi Fan Tutti, and The Marriage of Figaro. The performances are quite good, but most of all it’s astonishing to see opera in an unchanged, historic theatre of such intimacy -- where Mozart actually performed and where the concert scenes of the film Amadeus were shot.

Mozart reputedly wrote the overture to Don Giovanni at his friends’ house Villa Bertramka on the day of the first performance. You can visit Bertramka, which is not far from the city center. It was a country retreat in Mozart’s time, though now it’s ringed around by shiny new office towers and shopping centers. It’s one of the more intimate spaces in which one can try to feel the lingering sense that Mozart was there.

Naturally Mozart’s birthplace, Salzburg, is filled with places to visit for his fans. But for me the most significant place remains an hour’s drive up into the Salzkammergut mountains. St. Gilgen, the tiny village where Mozart’s mother was born and where Nannerl lived her married life. And where my novel was born.

7 comments:

vallerose said...

The book sounds fascinating. i enjoyed reading how Matt traced Mozart's steps and where he composed. Prague is worth a visit because it is a beautiful city, but should I ever return I would definitely try to see a performance at the Estates theater.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I knew that writers had to do research for their books, but I didn't realize it was that extensive. I am looking forward to reading this book. Dee

H. L. Banks said...

It was a pleasure to read your post and view the beautiful photos. I can't wait to read your book, your words pulled me into the story. I've always loved Mozart's music and was fascinated by his life and the mystery surrounding his death. Didn't know anything about his sister though. Thanks for what looks like a wonderful read.

Nathalie Ohana said...

I've read several of Matt's books, particularly the Omar Youssef series. He describes situations in the Palestinian territories in a way that is real and accurate. I would say he is the only one to depict them as such, the press does not give us such outlook and perspective. I can't wait to read his last book and even more after reading your excellent article.

Carol L. said...

I really enjoyed your post Matt. I loved the pictures on your site. The Library is like nothing I've ever seen before. Just Beautiful.Your research was so in depth and I look forward to reading Mozart's Last Aria. It's on my TRL. Thank you for this opportunity.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

It's unbelievable how much research is conducted and extremely admirable. Quite a bit of patience, I'm sure! I'd love to be considered for the giveaway.

coffeeandabookchick(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Mozart's Last Aria contains every element I love to read about in a novel.
I really enjoy Matt's blog; if anyone hasn't been there I recommend it. Very interesting with lots of info about his books.
Thank you Janet for featuring Matt!
Would you put me in the drawing for Matt's book please?
Thank you! :)

tmpr62 (at) myway (dot) com