Monday, November 29, 2021

GORDON McALPINE: R.I.P.

This is such sad news. Not a lot of details yet, but Edgar nominated author Gordon McAlpine has  passed away at the age of 62. Way too young. McAlpine was such a wonderful talented quirky writer. He wrote as Gordon McAlpine and Owen Fitzstephen. Some of my favorite novels of his: Woman with a Blue Pencil, The Big Man's Daughter, and Hammett Unwritten. He also wrote a trilogy of middle grade novels, The Misadventures of Edgar and Allan Poe, as well as short fiction in journals and anthologies. McAlpine taught at Chapman University in Orange, California, for many years.




4 comments:

D. P. Lyle, MD said...

This is so sad. When I first started on this writing adventure, I took night classes at UC Irvine. Gordon was my instructor and he taught me a lot about writing and storytelling. A great teacher, a great writer, and most importantly a great guy.

Tina V said...

He was not only one of my dearest patients (I am a Dental Hygienist) but I drove all the way to Pasadena years ago for his book signing of Woman With A Blue Pencil at Vroman's Bookstore. He was always so interested in hearing about my family...our kids and what they were doing with their lives. He was a kind and gentle man. Shall sorely miss him...

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear! He was my screen writing teacher at Chapman University. Wonderful person and writer!

Anonymous said...

Just seeing this…shocked. Old friend from teaching days….is it private or can anyone share how he died so suddenly