Saturday, May 27, 2023

JOHN DUNNING: R.I.P.

John Dunning passed away on May 23 at the age of 81. Author of the Cliff Janeway series, set in a bookstore, his books were some of my favorites. Booked to Die and subsequent books in the series are full of information on how to run a bookstore, how to spot a first edition, keep it pristine, price it, and enjoy it! It won the Nero Award and was nominated for an Anthony. I've always enjoyed books about books aka bibliomysteries

Read more about John Dunning in The Rap Sheet, here

HT: The RapSheet


5 comments:

Unknown said...

He will be missed. He was my teacher at MSC now MSU in the 80s. I learned a lot from him, including not to write purple prose.

vallery said...

He also wrote an encyclopedia of Old Time Radio which I still have. I remember him as a guest of honor at an early LCC. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this news! I loved his books! RIP John Dunning.

Kim Hays said...

I already wondered why his Cliff Janeway series didn't continue--I enjoyed it very much. I'm sorry it was for such a sad reason.

Becke Davis said...

Thanks so much for this list. I didn't realize John Dunning had died - I love his books. I have a nasty habit of discovering wonderful authors after they have died, when there is a finite number of their books to read. Jane Langton (I've since read all her books), Janey Bolitho (I was reading her last book when I learned of her death) https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/authorpage/janie-bolitho.html, Sheilah Connolly (my favorites are her Victorian Village mysteries)

I have to include Melissa Nathan, even though she wrote light-hearted romance, not mysteries or thrillers. I Googled her name to see if she had a new book coming out and discovered she had recently died of breast cancer. Her final book was published posthumously. (She died in 2006)

It breaks my heart whenever we lose an author. I still grieve over Mary Stewart, Josephine Tey and Agatha Christie.