Friday, May 1, 2009

Year's Best Crime Novels By Bill Ott

It's really hard to pick the 'best' novels. So many different variables. If I were to choose myself it would be my opinion and taste only, and I have too many friends whom I might hurt or offend by not choosing. So I list the Edgar nominees and award winners, the Agathas, the Anthonys, the Macavitys and all the others, as well as individual critics and writers who offer up their 'top' booklists. Occasionally, I'll single out books for review, but I try not to put together a 'best' list. That's just me. I applaud the people who can. I like so many books, it's just hard for me. However, I think by reading award nominees, reviews and lists, one can get a good cross-section of 'the best' out there. Something for everyone. Cozy with Agatha lists. HardBoiled P.I. with the Shamus and so on.

So here's author Bill Ott's list for the Year's Best Crime Novels 2009, published in Booklist. Not just a list, but well thought out reasons for his choices. Read the entire article. I'm only listing the titles here. His year seems to be from about March 2008 through mid-April 2009.

TOP 10
Cole in Hand by John Harvey
The Dawn Patrol by Don Winslow
Exit Music by Ian Rankin
Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child
Liars Anonymous by Louise Ure
Mine All Mine by Adam Davies (this ones really intriguing to me since I haven't read it)
A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny
Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith
Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon by Joe Gores.
When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson

Best Crime Novel Debuts

Amberville by Tim Davys
Black Water Rising by Attica Locke
Echoes from the Dead by Johan Theorin
Final Theory by Mark Alpert
Nuclear Winter Wonderland by Joshua Corin
Old City Hall by Robert Rotenberg
Rules of the Game by Leonard Downie
Sacrifice by S.J. Bolton
Singularity by Kathryn Casey
Takeover by Lisa Black

Hat tip to Randal Brandt for sending me this article.

1 comment:

Joshua Corin said...

Thanks for spreading this crazy-wonderful news!