As light keeping was a lonely profession, supplies were usually brought to the keepers and families by lighthouse tender ships and included a library box. Library boxes were filled with books and switched from station to station to supply different reading materials to the families. In 1876 portable libraries were introduced in the Light-House Establishment and furnished to all light vessels and inaccessible offshore light stations with a selection of reading materials. These libraries were contained in a portable wooden case, each with a printed listing of the contents posted inside the door.
Read More HERE including a list of some of the titles.