Friday, October 1, 2010

Stephen J. Cannell: R.I.P.

Stephen J. Cannell, the prolific writer-producer of dozens of TV series that included The Rockford Files, The A-Team, Silk Stalkings, Wiseguy, 21 Jump Street, died last night at the age of 69 from complications associated with melanoma.

After three decades as an independent producer of TV shows, Cannell in recent years had focused his attention to writing crime novels, and had published 16, including the Shane Scully series and several stand-alones.

As an actor, he had a recurring role on ABC-TV's series, "Castle."

Very sad.

Just added:  Jamie Weinman's comments HERE.

5 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Very sad indeed. He will be missed.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

vallerose said...

Not another one. I feel more personal about his death because I remember him from Left Coast Crimes. He spoke about being dyslexic and how he overcame it. We need some good news.

Lesa said...

I never even met him, and I feel so bad about his loss. His death truly is a loss to all of us who loved his work - TV or fiction.

Janet Rudolph said...

He was at LCC, very vibrant,lots to share.

Nan said...

So very sad. I greatly enjoyed seeing him when he'd show up on Castle, and from watching the extras on the dvd, I learned he was behind The Rockford Files. I promptly rented several seasons from Netflix, and thoroughly enjoyed the show. I read a while ago that he had suffered a terrible tragedy years ago when his son died.