Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chinese New Year Crime Fiction

恭賀發財 Gung Hay Fat Choy! This is the Year of the Rabbit. Chinese New Year begins February 3.

Living in San Francisco, the City that Knows How, I've put together Chinese New Year's Mystery Lists for the past few years! Not an easy task.  Just one addition this year. As always, I welcome any titles.


Year of the Dog by Henry Chang 

Year of the Dragon by Robert Daley 
Neon Dragon by John Dobbyn 
The Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee by Robert Van Gulik (7th Century china) "New Year's Eve in Lan-Fang" 
Dim Sum Dead by Jerrilyn Farmer 
The Skull Cage Key by Michael Marriott
The Shanghai Moon by S.J. Rozan
City of Dragons by Kelli Stanley

And, a short story by Mary Reed and Eric Mayer: "The Lady Fish Mystery", EQMM, September/October 1996.


I seem to remember a mystery by William Marshall (Yellowthread Street mysteries) set during Chinese New Year, but I mentioned this last year, and no one came forward.

Tomorrow Kelli Stanley, author of City of Dragons, will be guest blogging about Chinese New Year.

Also tomorrow on my other blog, Dying for Chocolate, I'll have a few Chocolate Chinese New Year recipes.

2 comments:

Alice Duncan said...

Thanks for the book list, Janet. I was born in the year of the cock. You don't find too many books written about that one. However there are two dragons in the family, and there are LOTS of year-of-the-dragon books available. I feel so slighted :-)

Priscilla said...

I've been trying to find the New Years William Marshall book but no luck so far, but thanks for mentioning him. I just pulled out his first Yellowthread book out of the stacks of TBRs and put on top.