Friday, September 11, 2009

Chocolate Cake Typewriter

Maybe this belongs on my DyingforChocolate blog, but I couldn't help thinking it fits in with mystery even better. I'm a sucker for old typewriters. I learned to type on one, my mother's old Royal. My first stories were written on that old typewriter. I remember the sound of the keys, the clang of the return, and the sound of crisp paper rolling through the carriage.

Today old typewriter keys are mostly used for jewelry. Occasionally I see old typewriters at antique shows, but I know they're destined for window dressing for someone's big noir office--an office that actually has space for this big clunker, not like mine which is so crammed with books that there's little space left.

So now just about everyone uses a computer. You can download the sound of old typewriter keys.

Lots of authors launch their new mysteries at parties where they have cakes made showing the cover of their book. When I finished my dissertation I made a cake (chocolate, of course) in the shape of my MAC 512. On the separate keyboard cake, I added M&Ms for keys, and I also had a separate mouse cake. For the time it was creative. I would now go for a more realistic look, but my baking and decorating skills have improved greatly. Don't think I could have done this typewriter, though. This old manual typewriter cake seems so cool that I had to add it to my blog. This is from Design*Sponge, a very fun site!

3 comments:

Mike Dennis said...

Very cute, Janet. You forgot, however, to include the chocolate cake ashtray next to the typewriter with an angel food cake cigarette balanced on its lip. And don't leave out the dark chocolate cake rotary-dial telephone nearby.

Janet Rudolph said...

LOL! Yes, absolutely. :-)

Alice Dubiel said...

The cake is obsessive... and inspiring. Pearl Jam used typewriter keys for their latest cd "Backspacer" and the keys were part of the backdrop for their concert tour. No chocolate there, though.