Friday, June 13, 2014

Father's Day Mysteries/Father's Day Crime Fiction

Me and My Dad..1990
Father's Day. My father passed away 12 years ago, but I still think about him every day. He encouraged and supported me throughout my various careers and educational pursuits, and he always told me I could accomplish anything and succeed in whatever I did.

My father was the ultimate reader. His idea of a good vacation was sitting in a chair, reading a good mystery. It never mattered where he was, the book took him to other places.

My father and I shared a love of mysteries. Over the years my taste in mysteries has changed. I now read more hardboiled, darker mysteries. So many times when I finish a book, I say to myself, "I have to send this to Dad. He'll love it." Sadly, he's no longer here. My father engendered my love of mysteries through his collection of mystery novels and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazines. I like to think he's up there somewhere in a chair surrounded by books and reading a good mystery.

Here's to you, Dad, on Father's Day!

FATHER'S DAY MYSTERIES

Father’s Day by John Calvin Batchelor
Father’s Day by Rudolph Engelman
Father’s Day Keith Gilman
Dear Old Dead by Jane Haddam
The Father’s Day Murder by Lee Harris
Day of Reckoning by Kathy Herman
Dead Water by Victoria Houston
Father’s Day Murder by Leslie Meier
Father’s Day by Alan Trustman

Murder for Father, edited by Martin Greenberg (short stories)
"Father's Day" by Patti Abbott --short story at Spinetingler
Collateral Damage: A Do Some Damage Collection  e-book of Father's Day themed short stories.

Let me know if I missed any titles. 

5 comments:

JES said...

Hmm... It doesn't explicitly reference father(s) in the title, but John LeCarre's A Perfect Spy is very much about the relationship between a son and his father. (Also not sure if we can count an espionage book as a mystery!)

Daddy's Girl sounds like it might fit the guidelines.

...and I have a feeling I'm overlooking something really obvious. Nagging suspicion that there's a series featuring a PI with a daughter as a recurring plotline... Argh.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post and what better tribute to your father than that you are a crime fiction lover and reviewer and blogger.

My father got me started as a reader and introduced me to mysteries in my teen years with the great detective Holmes, Nero Wolfe and some Perry Mason mysteries.

He also read Ellery Queen magazines, and I read a few then myself.

I then read some Agatha Christies, and a few by Dorothy Sayers and Josephine Tey.

Then I changed to other types of fiction, but came back to crime fiction when I discovered a lot of wonderful blogs and books.

My father would be glad to know that Holmes and Wolfe are still widely read series.

I have yet to read John Dickson Carr books. My father loved his locked-room mysteries. But I will do this.

Jane R said...

I loved reading about your father and his love of reading. My father also introduced me to books as well as the library, where we would go together on a weekly basis.
He passed away over 30 years ago and I miss him every day. But didn't our dads leave us with wonderful memories?! Thanks your Father's Day tribute!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Jane R. said.

My father, who also took me to libraries every week -- from which I emerged with an armful of books -- passed away over 30 years ago, too.

And, I miss him all of the time, even to pick up the phone and ask him about current events and more.

Unknown said...

Hi, I was just trying to remember a story I loved I read in Ellery Queen mystery magazine, probably at least fifteen years ago. All I can remember is it was terriby clever, and the theme was 'ties' referenced as a father's day gift. Anyone remember this? Would love to locate the story. Thanks. B.D. Rabin