Monday, November 9, 2015

Mapback Monday: Who's Calling by Helen McCloy

It's been awhile since I've posted for Mapback Monday. Today I'm sharing a Dell Mapback cover and map from 1942. Thanks to Bill Gottfried who inadvertently purchased two copies of Helen McCloy's Who's Calling? at Bouchercon. I'm now the lucky owner of the extra copy! FYI: No severed ears appear in the story. Ah..the problems with covers.


I really like the Helen McCloy books. 
Check out the covers and maps for:
She Walks Alone
The Goblin Market
Through a Glass Darkly


Helen McCloy (June 6, 1904 – December 1, 1994), is the pseudonym of Helen Clarkson. She was an American mystery writer, whose series character Dr. Basil Willing debuted in Dance of Death (1938). Willing believes, that "every criminal leaves psychic fingerprints, and he can't wear gloves to hide them." He appeared in 13 of McCloy's novels and in several of her short stories. McCloy often used the theme of doppelganger, but in the end of the story she showed a psychological or realistic explanation for the seemingly supernatural events.

Read more about Who's Calling on The Passing Tramp.

1 comment:

Brad (ahsweetmystery) said...

Janet, I'm on a McCloy binge, thanks to the recent Kindle sale! I just finished and reviewed Through a Glass Darkly and Mr. Splitfoot, and now I'm in the middle of The Slayer and the Slain, where I suspect the doppelgänger motif is about to rear its ugly head again! Thanks for showing the map back! I wish I had more used bookstores around me and more people throwing away great old mysteries like this one!