Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mary Stewart: R.I.P.

Romantic suspense novelist Mary Stewart has died at the age of 97. Known for much-loved novels including Touch Not the Cat, This Rough Magic and Nine Coaches Waiting, Stewart was among the first novelists to integrate mystery and romance. Mary Stewart was one of the most widely read fiction writers of our time.

Stewart was best known for her Arthurian fantasies, such as The Crystal Cave and The Last Enchantment, but also wrote many other novels, including children’s books. Her novel The Moon-Spinners was made into a film by Disney. With over twenty novels, a volume of poetry, and three books for young readers, she was admired for both her contemporary stories of romantic suspense and her historical novels. Born in England, she lived for many years in Scotland.

Source: The Guardian.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I loved her books, and have all of them (not the children's or the poetry). I keep hoping they will be on iBooks so I can have them with me wherever I am to read at my whim. I have hard copies already, and will keep them. She was one of my all time favorites who I reread often

Unknown said...

She was a great author. 97! Rest In Peace Ms Stewart I owe my life of reading for pleasure to you and the first novel I ever read- This rough Magic.