Thursday, August 8, 2013

Barbara Mertz aka Elizabeth Peters aka Barbara Michaels: R.I.P.

Very sad news. I have such fond memories of Barbara from her participation at Malice Domestic. She was so witty, funny, sharp and supportive. She will be remembered through her wonderful novels.

From William Morrow: 

It is with great sadness we relay the news that our beloved author, Barbara Mertz, (a.k.a. Elizabeth Peters) passed away this morning at the age of 85.

Under her pseudonym as Barbara Michaels she has written twenty-nine novels of suspense. As Elizabeth Peters, she had produced more than 35 mystery-suspense novels, many of them set in Egypt and the Middle East, featuring the intrepid Amelia Peabody. Under her own name, she authored several nonfiction books about ancient Egypt, still in print today.


Read Ed Gorman's tribute HERE.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear this. I particularly loved her Barbara Michaels novels and some of her Elizabeth Peters books. I didn't particularly like her Amanda Peabody books.

Priscilla said...

How sad she could not get a college job with her degrees because of prejudice, but how lucky her readers were that she turned to writing!

Anonymous said...

Mi dispiace tantissimo T_T ho sempre adorato i suoi libri... Grazie Barbara! Ci mancherai...

Carfair said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Her Elizabeth Peters books captured my imagination as I sailed down the Nile on an Egypt tour and started me on so many years of enjoyment of her writing. What a great lady!

Carol

Anne Higgins said...

Saw her obit in the Frederick MD paper today. She lived just 25 miles away and I didn't know it! Would have taken her cookies and home made bread and tried to have tea with her years ago!

Anne

Jacquey Tarney said...

I new Barbara when she lived in Rome her children, they were Beth and Peter guess that is where the name Elizabeth Peters came from. Jacquey Tarney together with Paula Tarney