Saturday, December 31, 2011

Nick & Nora Charles: Drinking their way through the Movies

Happy New Year! My final post for 2011 includes drinks and film clips to help you celebrate!

Last May I blogged about Detectives and their Drinks. In June I posted about James Bond's Vesper Martini. Detective team Nick and Nora Charles always come up on top for detectives with a pension for drink. The constant drinking of this bantering couple never hampers their investigative skills - quite the opposite. "Can't you say anything about the case?" a detective asks. "Yes," Nick grumbles. "It's putting me way behind in my drinking."

The Bronx Cocktail (Nick and Nora Charles in the Thin Man)
1 1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1 oz orange juice
Shake well (to a two-step time, as Nick suggests). Strain and garnish with orange peel. (recipe from Nightcapped)

Knickerbocker from The Thin Man (1934)
50ml gin
Large dash dry vermouth
Small dash sweet vermouth
Add the gin and both vermouths to a mixing glass filled with ice. Once well mixed, strain into a frosted martini glass. 

What will you be drinking tonight?  Pick Your Poison and Toast 2012! Enjoy!

7 comments:

Rochelle Staab said...

I can't think of a better way to close '11 than with Nick and Nora. Cheers and Happy New Year, Janet!

Kelly Robinson said...

I watch the Thin Man again every holiday season. Their gifts to each other charm me every time!

susied said...

These drinks remind me of one of the Tommy and Tuppence episodes where they order a horses neck. Funny name, like the drinks you posted above! (And I still have no idea what a horses neck is!)

Janet Rudolph said...

I didn't remember that they order a Horse's Neck, but here's a link to the recipe: http://cocktails.about.com/od/atozcocktailrecipes/r/hrse_nck_cktl.htm

Cindy Sample said...

Only you, Janet, would come up with the horse's neck recipe which I've been wondering about for years. I loved this post. Thanks for a fun farewell to 2011. Here's to a wonderful 2012!

Vickie said...

I need to get these movies on DVD to enjoy whenever I want. I can just see Nick mixing cocktails to a two step.

Luann Waters said...

Loved the film clips, many thanks! Have a wonderful 2012!!